When a woman is trying to conceive, there are chances she will come across different pregnancy-related terms. One of these terms includes ovulation. Ovulation is a process which is a part of the menstrual cycle where a mature ovarian follicle (part of the ovary) discharges an egg (also termed as an ovum, oocyte, or female gamete). During this process, the egg travels down the fallopian tube, where it may be met with a sperm and become fertilized. This process is also performed in the body before a woman becomes pregnant.
There are many symptoms to indicate if ovulation is taking place after each day. For example, there are different symptoms for 2 DPO (days past ovulation) and 12 DPO. This article will be discussing the 12 DPO symptoms. Following are some indicators that can be counted as symptoms for 12 days past ovulation.
- Exhaustion and tiredness are one of the leading indicators. Women tend to feel fatigue, especially during the first trimester. Since the body is producing high levels of progesterone, the woman feels sleepy. Plus, the heart needs to work harder since it has to generate extra blood, oxygen, and nutrients for the growing fetus.
- Women tend to feel mild cramps and low pressure in their abdomen. Cramping during pregnancy is normal as there are many changes taking place within the woman’s body. At times, women may feel cramps as soon as the embryo attaches itself to the uterus, which happens 6-12 days after ovulation.
- Many women feel gas or flatulence during early pregnancy. Due to a rise in hormones, the muscles in the body are relaxed, which include the digestive tract. This process slows the digestive system and as a result, the bacteria attack the undigested food before it is digested, leading to a gaseous feeling. Eventually, these symptoms may lead to constipation as bowel movements are reduced as well, causing further flatulence.
- Backaches are a common symptom of 12 DPO. Many women experience discomfort in their backs because of the softening of supporting ligaments and disks caused by an increase in the hormone progesterone. Backaches are also the cause of urinary tract infection during pregnancy.
- Nausea and queasiness are other significant symptoms that occur at the very first stages of pregnancy. This particular sign has no timing. Some women have claimed that morning nausea is the worst since their stomach is empty, while others say afternoon and evening and some feel nauseous all day long. Doctors have not yet figured out the cause behind this particular symptom. Some say that due to the rising level of the hormone progesterone, the muscles in the gastrointestinal tract relax and reduce the digestion speed that leads to gas and bloating as explained above, which can also be a part of nausea. The smelling sense is sharpened during pregnancy according to some women, so different smells such as cigarette smoke, body odor, perfumes, and coffee can contribute to nausea.